Will We Have a Big Snow Event Jan 2026

Now this is useful information. Carolina Powder coming so says Brad Panovich from Charlotte

“RARE EVENT: The “Carolina Powder” Scenario this weekend.

Usually, when we talk about snow and let’s say 0.10" of liquid in the Carolinas, we’re bracing for a slushy inch of concrete or ice. Not this time.With this cold air in place, we are looking at ratios closer to 15:1. That changes the game completely.

:snowflake: The Breakdown: :droplet: 0.10" Liquid (Standard Wet Snow) = ~0.8" accumulation. :cloud_with_snow: 0.10" Liquid (Carolina Powder) = 1.5" of fluff!

Same amount of moisture, nearly double the snow pile. So, depending on how much moisture we get, it could increase totals. This is the kind of snow you can actually clear with a leaf blower. This same setup could mean that dry, cold air “eats” some of the initial moisture through evaporation or, in this case, sublimation. Enjoy the fluff while it lasts!”

4 Likes

Well who knows?? But some are going out on a limb with this forecast

2 Likes

Whoever made that graphic really messed it up.

4 Likes

I’ll sell both of my kidneys and a lung if we get 10 inches of snow.

Hell, if we get 5 inches.

4 Likes

You may want to hold on to that kidney- WRAL even bit the bullet this morning and is calling for 3 to 6 inches lol :squinting_face_with_tongue:

1 Like

I liked the 28 inchs best. I am staying with that one. My local weather blog posted this map this morning:

I’ll throw in half of my liver, too, if we get 6"

3 Likes

I could use a backup liver. I’m in!
:clinking_beer_mugs:

5 Likes

We might see the 50s again…

2 Likes

2 Likes

Greg Fishel the former weather guy is a Debbie Downer. He is predicting we will get 2-4 inches based on the amount of water in the atmosphere or whatever. So I think everyone may be keeping their respective organs for now if his forecast holds up…

5 Likes

Yea, Brad Panovich is pretty reliable with the snow forecasts. I watch his SkiSoutheast videos once a week to determine if the local resorts are getting enough snow to make a weekend trip. Here is his reporting as of this morning:

3 Likes

That’s Cuba, but only 90 miles away!

4 Likes

I for one hope we get a ton of snow. Feels like we’re overdue. I think the only major snowfall I’ve experienced was sometime around 2000 when Raleigh got like a foot of snow, and I don’t remember it at all. I just wish I didn’t have such a steep driveway because I want to do donuts :sob:

5 Likes

He posted a video update with a slight change in tune around 9:30

1 Like

Is Raleigh going to stay in a dry slot and miss all this Carolina powder??? Snow is even more unreliable than developers … I am looking at you Nexus!

7 Likes

In the last couple of days, the YouTube weather forecasters started talking about that slot of no-snow, and my first reaction was “here we go again”.

2 Likes


I hate this so much

2 Likes

Give it some time lol. We’re still expected to get 4 to 8 inches.

1 Like

It’s been “snow starting in 2 hours” since last night.

I also hate the hype and disappointment.

2 Likes