Zimmer - Peace at Capital (SE Corner) - 506 Capital Blvd

It seems like the rezoning is going before the planning committee the week after this coming one, according to the Wire Service update that just came through.

12 Likes

Good for them. Hope it goes well and sets the tone for SmoHo3 to follow…

3 Likes

Proposed Max # of Residential Units is 1,466! That’s a lot of units if they go max.

I still doubt this project until I see :building_construction:

11 Likes

The Planning Commission was supposed to have their meeting about the Zimmer property earlier this week.

Well, they had a meeting. …but they spent three hours arguing about text changes for ADU ordinances and ran out of time. The commission talked about pushing back re-zoning cases to its next meeting on June 23rd, and eventually settled on also having a special meeting on June 30th at 9am to specifically deal with the remaining zoning cases if they run out of time then, again.

Looking at the agenda attachments, though, this could have been a blessing in disguise. City staffers seem largely supportive of the rezoning proposal, but they’re concerned about traffic safety on Peace St. and Capital Blvd.

Translation: even if the Commission and City Council gave a thumbs-up to this zoning change, the developers can’t actually build their tower until this traffic problem is solved, anyways. That’s why it makes more sense to figure this out here and now.

It sounds like this project was quiet earlier this year because of this debate. One of the attachments describes the long discussions that took place, but the TL/DR is that they probably wouldn’t have had much to talk about last Tuesday, anyways:

…so I guess we’ll just have to hope there’s more progress on the 23rd or 30th.

11 Likes

All the more reason for the Capital BRT route.

And also really. They just finished the work on the me bridge and reconfiguration of the intersection. And not even 6 months later there are already traffic concerns?

3 Likes

And consider the TBD traffic from SmoHo III. Well, traffic from a fully populated SmoHo I and II as well. And Publix. I don’t think it’ll be that bad, but it’ll get inflated I’m sure.

3 Likes

It’s going to be a traffic ‘concern’ if SH3 is approved…likely already will be with Publix interest initially until it finds equilibrium. Just think about how vehicular traffic changed around the warehouse district with the Dillon developments. I’m preparing for SmoHo to be a frequent travel blip if you’re a user of the Capital Bouly corridor into DTR. Just as the junction from Wake Forest to Capital is currently and just as Wade from Capital is currently.
Zimmer would factor similarly on the northbound route here (and if we’re being truthful - it’s always ‘eventful’ working through this section. Still, there’s likely a path forward for them - there’s an argument to be made that these developments might slow speeds and create less major issues albeit extending travel times???
Now, to your point - yes, it is ironic that these roadway changes have only just begun to form daily routines and the developments that would pop up due to the ‘rhythm of development’ around the infrastructure upgrades would essentially negate the roadway investments. And on goes the cycle…

7 Likes

I think a key here for SmoHo is going to be how the traffic on Johnson between St. Mary’s and Capital is managed. As of now, we’ve got several stop signs in a row on Johnson that could back-up west bound traffic off of Capital. If that happens, the council will be reluctant to approve any rezoning of remaining parcels in the entire area.
I know that the NIMBYs and the city are worried about traffic on Peace @ Capital, but I think this secondary artery is going to be the bigger nut to crack.

8 Likes

Smoky Hollow Phase 3 rezoning already approved. At least imaps already shows zoning as DX-40-SH-CU.

Did RUS Bus have to provide a traffic study? CAM? I just don’t get why some rezoning cases are treated differently?

1 Like

Affordable Housing. If you include affordable housing, you don’t need a traffic study.

jk

2 Likes

I’m gonna build a 40 story building that’s all parking deck, but I’m going to let people live in their cars while parked there. So I’ll call it 40 stories of affordable housing. It’s perfect! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

You could also just rent out spaces for camping!

2 Likes

That’s even more affordable! You’re a visionary!

1 Like

It could be the SHAZ. Smoky Hollow Autonomous Zone.

11 Likes

There’s a word for that: induced demand.

I’m pretty sure they did. Or at least, I never came across any text saying that the Zimmer project is an exception to city ordinances/procedures.

1 Like

Wouldn’t revised, recent traffic counts be waaaay low? Not against the project at all, but just wondering if this is the tact to get this portion approved…?

I don’t know. The memos didn’t have any more details on what that meant -so as far as we know, it could even mean a revised analysis of traffic numbers/travel patterns.

This one is back in motion.

CC 7-7-20; PC must act by 8-10-20

:grin:
:building_construction:

17 Likes

Update for August 11, 2020 (Planning Commission )

Additional information on the traffic analysis impact has been reviewed and concurred by the
Raleigh Department of Transportation. The updated analysis of the estimated impact
indicated that all signalized intersections are expected to operate at acceptable levels of
service. As a result, there are no outstanding issues remaining on the request and the
following policies have been recategorized as consistent:
Policy LU 2.6 Zoning and Infrastructure Impacts
Policy T 1.6 Transportation Impacts
Policy T 2.10 Level of Service
A new zoning condition has also been offered to dedicate space associated with the project
to accommodate a City of Raleigh bikeshare station.

18 Likes

When do they complete the shadow study? Asking for a friend.
:office:

6 Likes