Zimmer - Peace at Capital (SE Corner) - 506 Capital Blvd

Shade to the shadow study!

2 Likes

With global warming shadow/shade will be a good thing in future. :hot_face:

2 Likes

Seeing this on the Aug 18 city council agenda.

Current zoning: Industrial Mixed Use - 12 stories (IX-12) and Downtown Mixed Use - 12 stories - Urban General (DX-12-UG)

Requested zoning: Downtown Mixed Use - 40 stories - Shopfront - Conditional Use (DX-40-SH-CU)

Approximately 3.32 acres are being requested by ZP NO. 338, LLC to be rezoned. Proposed rezoning conditions provide for a city bikeshare station and prohibit adult establishments, vehicle fuel sales, detention center, jail prison, and vehicle repair uses.

The request is consistent with the 2030 Comprehensive Plan.
The request is consistent with the Future Land Use Map.
The request is consistent with the Urban Form Map.

The North Central CAC voted on the case 7(Y) - 10(N) during the September 10, 2019 meeting. The CAC vote occurred prior to the February 2020 City Council action.

The Planning Commission recommends approval (8-0).

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=BSEMZ758349B

18 Likes

I saw that too and am excited to see it moving forward! I wonder if they’re still planning to build it during these uncertain times. I hope so!

4 Likes

I feel like there were a few votes scheduled today. Anyone know how they went?

They voted to move it to public hearing on Sept 1. No discussion at all.

Raleigh City Council to consider new development up to 40 stories, 1,400 residential units

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/09/01/raleigh-city-council-to-hear-zimmer-request.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline via @TriangleBIZJrnl

9 Likes

can someone give a brief synopsis of the article?

It’s mainly a summary of what’s going on so far. We need to watch for discussion during today’s council meeting also.

According to filings, the zoning would allow for a tower up to 1.74 million square feet with as many as 1,466 residential units, 897,082 square feet of office space, 213,591 square feet for retail and 222,135 square feet of industrial space.

7 Likes

Yeah, the article doesn’t really call it out, but it’s a public hearing scheduled for today. Once that’s complete, they can vote today or push it off again. Assuming this gets approved, I wonder if there’s any plan to start construction in the foreseeable future. You know, or renderings some day even.

1 Like

I think I’m in love with this idea but the post-Covid world might not be welcoming of close knit housing but who knows :man_shrugging:t4:.

It sure didn’t bother the post-Spanish Flu world, so I doubt that post Covid19 will be any different. In fact, the Spanish Flu was way deadlier than Covid19 is proving to be.

2 Likes

1400 more residents is a good thing to support a future transit stop adjacent. If this comes to fruition, I wonder what the total resident count would be in that small West>East swath from St. Mary’s to the RR tracks, and Peace to North?

11 Likes

Oh! The traffic! :wink:

5 Likes

Oh the (foot) traffic!!!
:walking_man:t6: :walking_woman:t6: :man_in_manual_wheelchair: :man_in_motorized_wheelchair: :man_dancing:t6: :man_cartwheeling:t6: :man_standing: :man_cartwheeling:t2: :man_dancing:t2: :people_holding_hands: :couple:

11 Likes

Who cares about traffic if you can’t see where you’re driving while in the shadows???
:city_sunset: :bridge_at_night: :night_with_stars:

10 Likes

About that traffic… :boom: :boom: :boom:
Rezoning passed unanimously even with a hand (after some TIA haggling) from Cox

17 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for reporting back in. I still need to watch it later though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now we wait if this project is real or not.

14 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for sharing. I kept looking for an update tonight! Lol

And yeah, to echo @Francisco, I hope this still is actually happening.

3 Likes