Zimmer - Peace at Capital (SE Corner) - 506 Capital Blvd

That’s how this line of brainstorming got started, so these ideas are premised on the idea that CSX would be abandoning the line here and the road or alley or whatever would run where the train tracks are now. You’re definitely right that there is not enough room to put anything new running through there if the train tracks are still there. (I guess almost by definition there would be enough room for a one-way alleyway where the tracks are now.)

And, yes, the CSX ROW is huge as you get further north, creating even more land that you could do stuff with if you didn’t have the railroad tracks there anymore.

If the railroad wasn’t there, there’s enough room for a 2 lane road through that ROW, but it’s a pipe dream if you ask me.

1 Like

They have paved much of the new exit from north bound capital to Peace. Traffic signals are in place (covered). I bet they open that exit and close the current exit soon.

2 Likes

Strangely enough, this is also on the Central CAC meeting agenda for May 6 (7p, Top Greene Community Center at 401 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd)

Presentation: Potential Rezoning Case
(Location: Southeast portion of the
intersection of Capital Boulevard and
Peace Street. 506, 508 and 0 Capital
Blvd)
Existing Zoning: IX-12
Requested Zoning: DX-40-SH

Pull current agenda doc here.

6 Likes

Maybe this helps visualize how something might fit here and access to the property?

15 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for sharing these.
Now that I see it from above, I have a feeling that the new access road is going to be the sole north bound lane for a few days when they come to the end of the northbound bridge lanes construction.

1 Like

This was fairly interesting. They apparently already had their preliminary presentation to the North Central CAC (I missed it) but below is the presentation. They want a Fortune 100 unicorn but aren’t building on spec (obv). CSX has offered to sell them some of their land (see plot) but they’re keeping the turnstile.

Now for the rest of the preso

18 Likes

I’m super impressed with the rendering. I would be happy to have that in my view.

5 Likes

So basically the only way this happens is if a large company signs on?

2 Likes

Reminds me of the old Soleil Center proposal at Crabtree.

6 Likes

Thanks for all the pictures!

Something interesting that doesn’t seem to have been noticed is that in the second to last picture—the aerial view with all the stars—a “20 Story Hotel” is proposed next to Devereaux Meadows Park. I know there have been rumours of a development here, but that’s more than has been posted up to now!

3 Likes

I think I asked this before but is there anything preventing someone from getting a site rezoned and then just sitting on the land as the value grows and selling it years down the road to someone who will actually build on it?

1 Like

Don’t think so, and given they are waiting for a unicorn, I’m thinking you may not be far off.

4 Likes

Check out the app landglide it shows property parcels for the entire country

1 Like

It’s the Soleil Center’s slightly less-attractive sister.

3 Likes

@Speck
Awesome! My thanks! :blush::sunglasses:

1 Like

Also reminds me of that first rendering of the N&O property…

2 Likes

Combined with Smokey Hollow 4, this would make one heck of an entrance into DT proper on Capital, Especially with that monumental fountain behind the new Longleaf Hotel.

8 Likes

Haha!!! Over/under on how long until we see that fountain?? :joy:

5 Likes

I was expecting a budget-built generic condo tower. Something that could actually be built it Raleigh. I guess this won’t be built anytime soon.

1 Like