121 Fayetteville

Well the bright side is that there’s a chance that any future project on this property won’t be so hell bent on building a massive parking deck but if such a thing is still in the works will need to follow the new parking deck design requirements that the city is currently reviewing.

4 Likes

The facade design is a small fraction of a building. They’d basically be starting over, with all new structural/mechanical/plumbing/egress/occupancy requirements.

6 Likes

This is the TBJ article, for anyone wondering.

3 Likes

Gosh, I swear we can blame this on the Coronavirus and Republicans. Because of their weak leadership it’s frankly disgusting. We had this in 2008 republicans ruined the economy Obama a democrat came in office, when the recession, for you guys that may have not been here at the time when that happened Raleigh was hit pretty hard. John Kane was the only beacon of hope at the time when he was building North Hills to what it was today. It was awful.

2 Likes

Interesting. A leasehold of what is there currently? Maybe I’m mistaken in what I think a leasehold is, but why would Highwoods care to do this?

1 Like

A leasehold is kinda like an apartment lease: you have the right to hold and use property for some amount of time, but you don’t truly own the place. Unlike tenancy (AKA rental agreements), you don’t automatically, indefinitely renew the agreement until someone terminates the contract -and lease deals seem to last a lot longer (often on the order of years or decades).

Put another way: Highwoods is borrowing the right to occupy (and potentially build?) things in 121 Fayetteville, but from how I read that article, they are not the new owners of that plot of land. Not sure who has the right to (not) build things there, though, but I’m getting the vibe that things aren’t moving any closer towards construction…

I’m not a real estate lawyer, though, so… if you are, please hit me up and correct me if I’m wrong :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not bashing your opinion or necessarily disagreeing with you, nor do I identify with the Republican party whatsoever - but I would just like to point out that John Kane is Republican as all hell. Like, donated-to-Trump-and-everything Republican. So I do just find your statement interesting!

13 Likes

Well I didn’t know he was a Republican that is interesting.

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Density / Urban Sprawl

Well then he must be a pro-development righties!!! That mean he against NIMBY that happen to be in his own party.

1 Like

I can’t believe you’ll are trying to divide even this group along party lines. Please stop.

17 Likes

Might as well just lock this thread up. I doubt we’ll have any motion on this now that Highwoods has effectively burried the 121 plans. I’m a dreamer, but I’ll have to shift my dreams elsewhere it seems.

14 Likes

I’m going to pull this topic (at least my response) over to the Cabarrus project thread. Perhaps that provides a tip as to where I’d like to see focus.

2 Likes

Moved the recent convo into the Density / Urban Sprawl thread. Let’s keep anything specific to the project here. Or maybe any fun tidbits about the existing parking deck? :grimacing:

4 Likes

Just some additional confirmation and details:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article251181404.html

4 Likes

WHY does Highwoods buy all these properties and then absolutely NOTHING with them??? WHY

6 Likes

It just frustrating, maybe Highwoods should be banned from Raleigh!!!

2 Likes

Are some of those renderings in the video at the beginning of the article actually happening in that form? Specifically Salisbury Square and Park City South? I thought those got significantly scaled back.

Meanwhile Highwoods is proposing 28 and 41 story towers in Nashville:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/05/06/highwoods-reveals-gulch-central.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMFB_NA&csrc=6398&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+New+Content+(Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR03b0Lvpu45kmuohvQuC_te6R_pPOTzXxWvPgyRhwfGy9HAu8NBYHIxpzI

What else has to be announced for them to get comfortable to start building something here? I hope they start some of the projects :pray:t2:

3 Likes

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!! :rofl: :joy:

As in NO TALL BUILDING FOR DTR!!! :wink: :astonished:

Maybe “we” “Highwoods” buy all land in DTR and not put any building up! :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

2 Likes