Downtown hotels

Yay! More cranes coming soon! We are up to 6 now right?

I don’t think you’ll see a crane until next year. If it is an out of state architect, it usually takes several review rounds to get the permit. They also have to demo the existing buildings.

I’m gonna bet this winter. Your probably right though. But I’ll say by November

building permit before a demolition permit? sounds a little odd. Usually you see the demo permit pulled before a building permit. There are at least 2 buildings that have to come down, right?

They will definitely get the demo permit first. I’m assuming that it will take several months to get the building permit. I also assume that they will begin demo soon. It will be a matter of doing the site prep after the demo and the timing of it. I just don’t think that they will be ready to put a crane up until early next year.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any activity on the Enterprise Lot (W Cabarrus/McDowell/Gale St) in a long time. An “Administrative Alternative” request just came through and has renderings and more. Unfortunate the DX-20-SH doesn’t look like it’ll get very well used.

Link to the PDF here.

If this does get traction and permits are pulled, this may need to be split out to it’s own topic.

8 Likes

Actually looks like 12 floors. Could be worse. Could definitely be better. I’ll take 179 more hotel rooms DTR no matter what color they are. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was just reading the PDF in detail and couldn’t help but laugh at some of the regulations.

UDO Section 3.3.3 which requires a minimum 15- foot stepback between the 3rd story and the 7th story for those building elevations along public right-of-way.
-Response: The intent of the building massing regulations is to manage the impact of tall buildings to avoid a canyon effect, and to provide access to light and air at street level.

I believe this project is still on GO, just getting responses back from the city.

Also says 13 stories

4 Likes

I like the massing, at least. Those first few floors (I’m assuming it’s structured parking) have a warehouse vibe to them.

1 Like

The word monolith pops to mind.
Not architecturally striking but it sure as heck beats a surface parking lot any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

5 Likes

The lower mass looks like our classic parking plinth, at least this one is screened. I don’t care for the materials on the lower portion - and would prefer the brick we saw in early renditions. Agree, more rooms/less surface parking lots is a net plus even if the building is blaaaa.

1 Like

Just build it. Don’t even care about the ugly diaper of a parking structure that occupies 3/4th of the pedestrian sight experience.

4 Likes

It’s exciting to see movement on this. The render is much improved from the more prison/hospital look from earlier.
Wish it had a roof top amenity level. The 10 story Residence Inn has a rooftop bar (pointed the wrong way, doh!). At 12+ stories at this location, views would be great for a high up party floor. But muh $$$

5 Likes

Imagine overlooking the Red Hat Amphitheater! And eventually a great view of the convention center expansion! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The 5th floor pool terrace and bar is on the southeast corner.

I believe it’s actually southwest, right? So actually facing the amphitheater. Might be an interesting view once that’s replaced.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the view be blocked by the L Building / Wake County Parking deck? At least anything on the 5th floor…

I’m going to go ahead and laugh at my own Paint masterpiece.

:rofl:

5 Likes

The plan is rotated. McDowell St is at the bottom.

Ahhhh… it’s where Enterprise currently is… I thought it was across the street from the Wake County Hotel (jail)…

1 Like