Raleigh Union Station and RUSbus Facility / Union West

You can prolly add the municipal building and Kane Cabarrus to this crane count.

4 Likes

You’re a dreamer… :cloud:

1 Like

I didn’t get to see your crane count. But let’s hope those two get moving up in 2022 too! Raleigh Gov site still has fall 2022 for construction for the municipal building, let’s hope.

2 Likes

Speaking of city government any idea when they’ll explore the Convention hotel site again. Website still says suspended due to tax shortfalls but I know as of the last few months everything seems to be coming in much higher than originally feared.

2 Likes

I really do like and can appreciate the brick and glass. :+1:
But damn, such a square :package: box on top of a square box, on top of yet another square box…:black_square_button: :crazy_face:
Hoffman and Associates seemed to impress on their architects that you keep with what’s already there in the DTR area but without and real standouts. I have no doubt that for the most part this will be an nice addition to DTR, is just reminds me of all the houses in Cary/N. Raleigh. Wash, rinse, dry, repeat… :frowning_face:
Who knows, maybe the box on the very top will end up being glass and changes color every night… :laughing:

3 Likes

As crazy as it sound it might actually become Raleigh’s style and with all the boxy buildings in time might add a unique look, just sayin lol.

1 Like

Really liked the list at the bottom of tallest buildings in Raleigh by the date that they held that title. The Capitol was the tallest building at one point! AAAAAHHH!!!

4 Likes

Watch for utility work to start VERY soon…

If I’m right, I want you to buy me a beer. :beers:

I agree, we here in Raleigh have some uniformity in our skyline. But, as I’m sure we all can agree, it would most definitely fill in the skyline, produce more street activity, bring more residents DT, etc…

Maybe we should make it mandatory to have the tops of these new buildings have the ability to change colors (i.e. red for the Hurricanes game)? What a crazy idea :smiley:

11 Likes

Ahem: I believe that “cone” was called “The Occulus”. Much more innovative sounding. :laughing:

1 Like

I’ll use the slightly pretentious name, but only if they build it! If they don’t build it, it’s “The Cone”! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

For what it’s worth…in the PDF I posted yesterday they refer to this area as ‘The Occulus’ as well :smiley:

12 Likes

I’m really hoping The “U” on top of the hotel is a rooftop bar

8 Likes

Hmmm, it also shows office, which doesn’t appear to be part of the plans anymore?

1 Like

You are probably right, this was something prepared earlier this year. I’m sure the plans have changed a couple times over this year.

1 Like

So hoping for that too! I love my rooftop bars.

4 Likes

It’d be a shame to skip putting office in this building. If what happens in other cities is any guide, office does extremely well next to (useful) commuter rail, and can be expected to outperform office space elsewhere in the submarket. If commuter rail gets built, even under high-vacancy market conditions, space this close to the train station (and likewise relatively close to Glenwood South) would probably maintain better rental and occupancy rates than something further away like Fayetteville St.

Now, if the commuter rail is operated with low frequency, too few stations, and an inconvenient schedule, then all bets are off…

Dillon, Block 83, and Kane’s Cabarrus project have it right for this location. Residential is fine too, but leaving out office is a mistake.

11 Likes

TBJ has posted an article on this as well, and says “with hopes of of kicking off construction in 2022.”
I was under the impression the city had to start before 2022.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/13/gotriangle-rus-bus-tower-development-moves-forward.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_RA&csrc=6398&taid=61166cdbced6e00001761ade&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

12 Likes

I think this one was always scheduled to start in early 2022. Also, for everyone else…here’s some additional details on what it will include, looks like the office portion was indeed cut:

Altogether, the project totals around 500,000 square feet including around 350 apartments with some units designated for affordable housing, a 200-key hotel, 18,000 square feet of retail space and 550 parking spaces.

5 Likes

Is this one of the official renderings? If so it’s too bad they have the hotel entrance where it is. That corner and leading down into the pavilion would of made for some fantastic restaurant space, with some nice outdoor dinning.