VeLa Longview - 220 East Morgan St - Marbles Parking lot

That’s just a reminder of what you might get with a 60 story building vis-a-vis the rest of our skyline.
I’d like to see 650 footer including a crown, or a 600 footer without a crown. Our current tallest is 535 with the crown.

2 Likes

Raleigh doesn’t need to compete (and can’t) for the tallest buildings. But we could use an architecturally significant signature tower. 600 ft would be fine, but it’s the architecture that matters. It was nice to have a new tallest with the PNC Plaza, but it’s nothing memorable or defining an a city icon.

14 Likes

People will talk lots of $h!t about Charlotte… but damn do they have a nice handful of iconic, architecturally pleasing towers. BoA is just a stellar building all around, especially its intricate crown that towers above the rest of the city. Even the Duke Plaza tower has quickly become iconic, with it’s wide fin-like top watching over BoA Stadium, ever present in the background of Panthers’ home games.

10 Likes

yep me also, I think charlotte’s (lcop) uptown is just an inferiority complex. Downtown is what, I’m guessing ~99% of towns call their central business distracts.

2 Likes

Charlotte definitely is one of my favorite skylines. The city itself though just feels like Atlanta Jr

But back to this lot, does anyone know what’s the actual plan here? Seems like it’s a bit out of the area where you’d want a nice new tower for an office. Maybe condos?

2 Likes

It’s called “Uptown” because of the elevation. The city was built on a hill!

So the inferiority complex dates all the way back to the 1700s, yikes

2 Likes

AS I recall the switch from downtown to uptown was done sometime around mid 1980’s. I do recall seeing talk about it being done to help market central Charlotte.

Will not say more this is getting WAY WAY WAY off topic.

2 Likes

BofA is Cesar Pelli. Charlotte is lucky to have one of his towers. He was magnificent.

9 Likes

Lots of cities are built on hills. Raleigh’s on a hill as well. Meaningless! I think ‘midtown’ or ‘uptown’ should be reserved for cities with multiple CBDs.

5 Likes

Manhattan comes to my mind.

2 Likes

Nice attempt to bring the discussion back on topic! LOL

As for answering your question, I’ll vote for condos in every development until it actually starts to happen. We have a serious shortage of ownership opportunities DTR sub $750k. We get townhomes and apartments. While having a small surplus of condos downtown wouldn’t exactly help my property value, I think it’s needed. Kane is great, but he doesn’t build condos and as far as I know, the only condo development that was on the docket was Nexus with The Nash condos and I’m fairly certain that entire block project is dead, at least for now.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s the tree canopy on and around this block or what but it just screams prime residential tower in the trees. Hopefully it’ll come true!

3 Likes

Yeah, but those two are the only good ones lol. Charlotte’s skyline is just splattered with po-mo towers that are distinctive only by how tacky they are imo.

1 Like

Let’s direct the Charlotte comparisons to the Show Off Things From Other Cities thread, please. This Community has actually done a really good job on barely mentioning Charlotte in day-to-day conversations.

Shoot higher than Charlotte! :wink:

15 Likes

I think @atl_transplant and I should get a gold star for trying to get it back on track.
:rofl:

8 Likes

That’s that got the Epicenter in ‘Uptown’ Charlotte closed! :shushing_face:

I must respectfully disagree! I love the Charlotte skyline for a good majority of its buildings and height variation. Now per @dtraleigh’s request to get this back on track :joy: and to respond to @atl_transplant - I definitely agree I could see the top half of this potential 30 story tower to be condos or- more likely- LuXuRy ApArTmEnTs - But aside from office, I think some hotel would be great in this area. Sure, it’s a bit tucked away from the “action” but it’s still right there next to one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city (Marbles Kids museum and the attached IMAX theater), and a block from the newly renovated Moore Square Park and City Market (which should truly be a bigger tourist attraction than it currently is) - so I could totally see a hotel on this lot. As for the ground floor activation? I’ve said before I actually hope that Marbles partners with whoever ends up developing this lot to include museum expansion- even in the 1st few floors.

5 Likes

I love the idea of Marbles expansion into this block and I pray the hospitality industry bounces back so a hotel could be a viable option. Or maybe even one of those mixed hotel/condo concepts. I believe hotels like The W and others have options for buying some of the floors?

7 Likes

My dream for this area is for the block to the east (US Federal complex) to be redeveloped with multiple taller buildings and incorporating residential on the south side of that block. There is a lot of potential, in the blocks surrounding Moore Square. Maybe Mr. Kane will step up and take on the Kil-Mor property and all the City owned properties directly east of Moore Square and it will be the catalyst to really spur development on the east side of DTR.

8 Likes