Show Off Things From Other Cities

Posting up pictures of what a town in the Netherlands with a metro of ~360k-370k people looks like in 2023. Here is the city of Groningen in the Netherlands. I visited for a small amount of time while being in Germany. Here’s my previous post for photos from Germany (Click here). I’m not going to spam with pictures that are similar to what has already been posted. I am quite jealous of the biking infrastructure. I did see quite a few people on ebikes.

One of the things I did like in the inner part of the city is the slower streets. It is a prime example of how streets can be shared between cars, bikes, and mopeds when speeds are slow. The inner city had roads where bike lanes did not exist, but they were not needed due to the slow streets. If we had slower streets in Raleigh, then I can see more people using mopeds, including electric, which would help reduce congestion. Granted lane filtering would also need to be allowed. There are very large cities where mopeds and motor bikes are the main form of transport. Dhaka Bangladesh just got its first metro in December 2022. It’s a very large and dense city of 10+Million.

Below is the small town of Appingedam (population just under 12k) The waterfront part is actually from Delfzijl.

22 Likes